Which Foods Help Support Growing Children
Childhood is a time for rapid growth, physical developments and learning new skills. Nutrition in the early years of life is a major determinant of growth and development and influences future adult health1.
What are the key nutrients your child needs?
- Energy to support metabolism and increased activity
- Protein for the growth of muscle mass
- Vitamins and Minerals including zinc and vitamin B12 to support healthy immune function and calcium for the development of strong bones
- Essential fatty acids
How do I meet my child’s nutritional needs?
Aim to include foods from these five foods groups every day, either as a meal or a snack:
- Vegetables and legumes
- Grain foods such as bread, rice, pasta and cereals
- Lean meat, poultry, fish and eggs
- Milk and dairy products2
What can I do if my child is not eating foods from all five food groups?
If your child is not able to consume enough food or variety of foods from the food groups and it is affecting their growth, they may benefit from a nutrition supplement to help meet their nutritional requirements. Kid Essentials® is a nutritionally complete supplement for children aged between 1 and 10 years old, which can be prepared as a milky drink or mixed into your child’s normal foods to provide a nutritional boost.
Kid Essentials® contains
- High quality whey protein
- 27 vitamins and minerals
- And essential fatty acids
To learn more about Kid Essentials® please visit our website , or contact your healthcare professional to find out how Kid Essentials® can help your child.
- Shaw, V. (2015) Clinical Paediatric Dietetics 4th Edition, West Sussex, John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- https://daa.asn.au/smart-eating-for-you/smart-eating-fast-facts/children/ Accessed 4.11.19
KID ESSENTIALS® is a food for special medical purposes and is specifically formulated for medical conditions where nutritional needs cannot be met through diet modification alone. Must be used under the supervision of a healthcare professional.