Ways to improve nutritional intake
Despite best intentions, it can often be
difficult to consume all of the nutrients required to maintain a well-nourished
body. Following are some tips for increasing nutritional intake, to make the
most out of every mouthful.
- Eat little and often if large meals are overwhelming
- Eat when you feel best (eg. If you feel best over the first half of the day, focus on eating during that time)
- Snack on nourishing foods such as cheese and biscuits, yoghurt and nuts between meals
- Consume nourishing drinks such as milk drinks or smoothies instead of low energy drinks such as water, tea, coffee or diet drinks
- Choose creamy or hearty soups instead of broths
- Daily exercise can stimulate appetite, as well as helping with depression, and strengthen bones and muscles. Speak to your healthcare professional about your ability to exercise.
- If you’ve been following a special diet, check with your healthcare professional to see if dietary restrictions are still needed.